Garlicky Gilroy & Music Ministry
So I had the opportunity to do a small talk at TSA Gilroy's Youth Conference with my bosses today. We covered things like youth and dating, youth and music, youth and the internet, youth and the end days. The last one is a doozy. I was hoping for youth and garlic - Gilroy is the US garlic capital didn't you know? You can smell it while driving through parts of the area!
Despite the long day, the youth were really energetic, enthusiastic and engaged in what was going on. I haven't had the chance to go to many other corps other than Sunnyvale since I started so this was a great opportunity for me.
The topic I presented with Captain Paula was on music and youth, specifically musicians. Just preparing for it, it's amazing how much I've changed in my ways and perception of being a musician for God. I had always strived for perfection musically with any music ministry I was with. More often than not it had become performance driven rather than worship driven. I'm not sure when this changed. Was it fall-outs within the band? Was it counselling band members when I was out of the band? Was it my encounter with David Crowder who showed me what musical humility & worship is? Was it when Will and I came up with a rigourous application & interview system for SAKC Toronto youth because we wanted to get down to the heart of it rather than the glamour of it?
I'm not sure how but that's where I am now. I suppose it's just a spiritual maturing and letting go of the control freak/perfectionist in me.
Of course, I love it when things are musically cohesive and has a good flow so as to facilitate praise and worship more effectively. But the things that matter to me now are developing the next music ministry member, simplifying music so it isn't the unatainable or unattemptable at least, and both leaders and participants to engage in corporate worship that allows for hearts to be prepared for what God has to say.
I've even stopped being frustrated or discouraged with people who don't sing along. I've learned that just because they don't sing, raise their hands, or clap, it doesn't mean that they are not engaged. Everyone is wired differently. Everyone responds differently to music. I love to dance, pray and sing. My husband likes to soak it in and just stand when he is not leading. Others just love to clap along to a great beat. Just as long as I am fully engaged in being the instrument that God leads me to be and am sensitive to those who are participating - it's really the Spirit's job to do the moving and stirring up of our hearts. I'm just happy to lead and facilitate something much greater than any music that could ever be made - a spirit of worship to God who is most worthy to be praised.
Despite the long day, the youth were really energetic, enthusiastic and engaged in what was going on. I haven't had the chance to go to many other corps other than Sunnyvale since I started so this was a great opportunity for me.
The topic I presented with Captain Paula was on music and youth, specifically musicians. Just preparing for it, it's amazing how much I've changed in my ways and perception of being a musician for God. I had always strived for perfection musically with any music ministry I was with. More often than not it had become performance driven rather than worship driven. I'm not sure when this changed. Was it fall-outs within the band? Was it counselling band members when I was out of the band? Was it my encounter with David Crowder who showed me what musical humility & worship is? Was it when Will and I came up with a rigourous application & interview system for SAKC Toronto youth because we wanted to get down to the heart of it rather than the glamour of it?
I'm not sure how but that's where I am now. I suppose it's just a spiritual maturing and letting go of the control freak/perfectionist in me.
Of course, I love it when things are musically cohesive and has a good flow so as to facilitate praise and worship more effectively. But the things that matter to me now are developing the next music ministry member, simplifying music so it isn't the unatainable or unattemptable at least, and both leaders and participants to engage in corporate worship that allows for hearts to be prepared for what God has to say.
I've even stopped being frustrated or discouraged with people who don't sing along. I've learned that just because they don't sing, raise their hands, or clap, it doesn't mean that they are not engaged. Everyone is wired differently. Everyone responds differently to music. I love to dance, pray and sing. My husband likes to soak it in and just stand when he is not leading. Others just love to clap along to a great beat. Just as long as I am fully engaged in being the instrument that God leads me to be and am sensitive to those who are participating - it's really the Spirit's job to do the moving and stirring up of our hearts. I'm just happy to lead and facilitate something much greater than any music that could ever be made - a spirit of worship to God who is most worthy to be praised.
Comments