Christmas in San Diego
So Andrew and I took on the daunting task of driving 8 hours south to San Diego to spend our Christmas down there. After an almost full day of work, I was in no mood to drive. I'm so thankful that Andrew had slept in and was up to the challenge. I've never been able to sleep in cars or buses in my entire life but I guess I'm just super tired lately because I drifted in and out of sleep quite a bit.
I got to spend Christmas with my Uncle Peter and Auntie Grace, who put together a great and lavish meal which I will not forget. Andrew and I had to roll ourselves outta there! We also got to see their daugter Miriam, husband John (both whom I haven't seen for 13 years!) and their 3 yr. old son Matthew. We had quite a bit of fun with Lego and it was great to just catch up.
We also were able to meet my friend Shan from high school who was on vacation with his girlfriend and happened to be in San Diego. I thought we had a hard time getting to San Diego (rain, 8 hours and a speeding ticket in Carlsbad), but Shan spent Christmas eve and day grounded in the airport due to bad weather. Yikes.
I was glad to see them - it was a little bit of home in rainy Cali and we spent the day rambling around the San Diego Zoo. I've got to say, I am uber impressed by this zoo - it's beautiful! I think my only disappointment was the line to see the pandas (It looked like a 1 hour wait), and the lack of tigers and lions. I really thought there would be more than 2 or 3 of each!
We also met one of Andrew's old house mates, Ari, who happened to be in town with his family as well. He was born in Santa Barbara so they had come back to their old stompin' grounds. We had a great dinner in the Gas Lamp district - beet salad and yummy duck.
I must say, I do very much appreciate living in Northern Cali. It's not as expensive as SoCal. It's got more greenery. It seems cleaner and more cultured too. I can get better food for lower prices in SF and definitely Napa and parking is more often than not - free!
Happy to be back home in NorCal. I'm soooooooo tired though. I think I typed this thing up with my eyes partially open so please excuse any mistakes!
I got to spend Christmas with my Uncle Peter and Auntie Grace, who put together a great and lavish meal which I will not forget. Andrew and I had to roll ourselves outta there! We also got to see their daugter Miriam, husband John (both whom I haven't seen for 13 years!) and their 3 yr. old son Matthew. We had quite a bit of fun with Lego and it was great to just catch up.
We also were able to meet my friend Shan from high school who was on vacation with his girlfriend and happened to be in San Diego. I thought we had a hard time getting to San Diego (rain, 8 hours and a speeding ticket in Carlsbad), but Shan spent Christmas eve and day grounded in the airport due to bad weather. Yikes.
I was glad to see them - it was a little bit of home in rainy Cali and we spent the day rambling around the San Diego Zoo. I've got to say, I am uber impressed by this zoo - it's beautiful! I think my only disappointment was the line to see the pandas (It looked like a 1 hour wait), and the lack of tigers and lions. I really thought there would be more than 2 or 3 of each!
We also met one of Andrew's old house mates, Ari, who happened to be in town with his family as well. He was born in Santa Barbara so they had come back to their old stompin' grounds. We had a great dinner in the Gas Lamp district - beet salad and yummy duck.
I must say, I do very much appreciate living in Northern Cali. It's not as expensive as SoCal. It's got more greenery. It seems cleaner and more cultured too. I can get better food for lower prices in SF and definitely Napa and parking is more often than not - free!
Happy to be back home in NorCal. I'm soooooooo tired though. I think I typed this thing up with my eyes partially open so please excuse any mistakes!
Comments