Seoul - What I've Learned

We've had a great 2 weeks in Seoul and honestly I couldn't be more satisfied. The last 2 times I've been here left some pretty traumatic and negative memories. I guess knowing the language, where I'm going, and what I want to see and do has helped a lot. Plus I've had my hubby with me so that made it way more fun! We arrived here right before the G20 so a lot of things in Seoul are foreigner friendly. Signs are translated into English, Mandarin, & Japanese, there are information booths set up along the way. Things to remember for next time? Here's my top ten:

10. Only get in a taxi from the right side passenger door. If you get in from the left, you might get killed by passing traffic - or at least get reamed out by the driver like I did.

9. Officially, Seoul has announced that when walking on the sidewalk, you need to get out of the way...to the right. The people of Seoul missed that memo and continue to dart to the left - many of whom I've had near collisions with.

8. If you can, speak Korean to be polite. If you can't don't sweat it. Usually the people working in touristy areas are able to communicate in English.

7. Haggling works only to an extent - the economy still isn't that great and foreigners aren't good at haggling so you'll only really get a couple of won shaved off your purchase.

6. Unless photography is your profession, don't buy camera gear in Seoul. Supposedly cash-only gets you a great price but if you buy of Amazon, I've found that you get the same general price plus ease of mind when it comes to warranty issues.

5. Namsan tower - there is a funicular that takes you up to the cable car platform. You can walk there from Myeong Dong station so unless you want to walk up a really steep hill, you're better off with the free ride.

4. End of day sales at the department store food courts are awesome. 5000 won for 3 bags of bread at the bakery and then you have breakfast for the next morning! Go at around 6:30pm and on.

3. Coffee is overpriced in Korea - if you want an Americano at the 'Bucks you're paying at least 3500 won. I'd suggest finding those little coffee kiosks where you can get a decent cup for 1500 won.

2. If you're a bit of a germ-a-phobe like me, don't worry too much. Most restaurants give you the equivalent of wet-naps at the beginning of a meal, most bathrooms are relatively new and clean (even at public parks), and your boogeys aren't as black when you blow your nose...London was worse for us!

1. Never travel to Korea without your usual North American medicines of choice. Immodium especially! I learned this the hard way. Drugstores are the only places you can get medicine (even over-the-counter) and they are closed on weekends. Fortunately I have an uncle who went and brought me something for my stomach but it was very different - little pack of dark brown pellets that taste and smell like East Asian herbal meds.

Last full day here and then we're headed back Stateside. Seoul - I will be back!

Comments

Popular Posts