Chance Encounters In Unionville

Monday night, the Ministry Leaders (Michael, James & Esther) usually head on up to the Starbuck’s (a.k.a. the mother-ship) on Unionville Main Street. For those of you who’ve known me for a long time…yes, I still frequent the place. Hey, once a watering hole, always a watering hole.

After our usual dawdling at choosing a preferred beverage and then ending up getting the same old – James (tall decaf vanilla latte), Esther (tall vanilla latte), Michael (water…with a straw!) and I (tall seasonal-drink…at the moment it’s a Cinnamon Dolce Latte) – we then proceeded with our Monday-night ritual of fighting over the bill.

With scratches, bruises and burns to boot, we made our way into the seating area, trying to find a decent seat where we could keep Esther and James away from each other…yes folks, MEOW. But as I proceeded to put my stuff down, I noticed that there was a very familiar looking man in the corner who I swore I knew however he seemed to be missing a moustache which I was accustomed to after many years.

Lo and Behold he did the same double take…It was my 3rd Grade teacher!!! Hahaha. Ok, seriously, this is the teacher that started my addiction to superheroes so really, he means a lot to me. Mr. Dave (David) Pollard from Haliburton, Ontario who always wanted to remind us of that very fact! Still at Kennedy P.S., still tall as ever, still the nicest guy around. Anyway, after a bit of catch up, I realised that James and Esther had begun their usual bickering and I had left Michael to break it up. Poor Michael! Mr. Pollard, also having to run to catch the 2hr. special of 24 that was on that night headed out too.

For those of you who don’t know me that well, I’m sure you’ve already guessed or assumed that at a young age, I was indeed the teacher’s fave and quite the keener. Maybe I lost that touch in university, but nevertheless…I was. This teacher, Mr. Pollard, I’ve kept in touch with on and off over the years because not only was he super great, but he also taught Kris and Kev. Now he has pictures of the three of us on his classroom wall and apparently tells his new class every September about us. So funny eh? You teachers out there...Kristen included =P…keep it up. Seriously, it is such a joy to be taught by someone who loves teaching and I am eternally grateful. Of course, after our leadership class, I rushed home to catch Heroes! Save the cheerleader, save the world.

Comments

Popular Posts