To Crack or Not to Crack?

So I’ve been seeing my personal trainer/chiropractor twice a week now and so far, I’m feeling great! It’s funny because after talking to him at the gym, I was completely trusting and fully believed that a good readjustment would do wonders for me. So I set up an appointment with him and was quite excited about it.

Then, right before I went for my first appointment, I had several warnings about these treatments. “Don’t let them crack your neck!” “Don’t go! It’ll just mess you up even more”. I’ve heard many horror stories so of course it resulted in fear and trembling, and I was wondering if I could get out of it. However, if I did that I’d have to make up more excuses when I saw him at the gym!

Now I can honestly say that my fears have subsided. Yes, I was in a bit of pain after the first treatment, but now that I’ve been going regularly, I have less muscle spasms, my posture is improving, and I feel looser and less tense, even when under stress.

Of course seeing a chiropractor is recommended less than seeing your general practitioner because of the “risks”. But, I think the same disclaimer should be given for GP’s too. Your GP could mis-diagnose you, not follow-up with you, or even write prescriptions for medication that you don’t necessarily need or should be taking. Mine did, and let me just say, it did me NO GOOD. I think if it weren’t for this stigma around these alternative medicine’s, everyone would be doing it. Your body using what your body already has, to heal what else?...your body! Makes sense to me.

I guess the other funny think about this is that I’m reminded of how quickly we human jump back and forth from assurance to doubt. I mean, you could have faith in someONE or someTHING, and then one person comes by and says something ELSE and BOOM, you begin to doubt yourself, you get psyched out, and you don’t trust even your own instinct.

Just like our faith today. As a child I would believe and trust with my instinct that God is creator, governor, and always had my best interests in mind. As I got older, I would hear people ask “Where’s God when you need him?”. They would tell their horror stories and they would give me warnings about organized religion and all that “There is no God” mumbo jumbo. Even the always faith-shaking question, “How do you know your God is the right God?” Suddenly, everything you believed in turns into a blurry mess and you find yourself fumbling for truth in the confusion. No one is right, absolute truth ceases to exist in your world, and we become just a mass of people who have been created with no purpose, no beginning, no end, and no one who will love you unconditionally.

But these faith-shaking comments…they’re coming from other people who can not answer life’s biggest questions. Sometimes they can’t even tell you what they ate for lunch yesterday. You read The DaVinci Code and you begin to doubt the bible and believe that man has manipulated it to serve their own personal agendas. What do we know about Dan Brown? Not much I’m sure, other than the fact that he’s a great fictional writer. Have we forgotten that our God, so infinitely wise and powerful, would not stand by and have his own “God-Breathed words” adulterated for man’s use?

It’s funny how the bible, as old as its words are, can still speak to us today. So I’ll close off with this. I think the Apostle Paul had just as hard a time keeping and defending the faith in his day, to people just as easily shaken as we are. But he did it, never-the-less, through God’s strength and grace. As for I, I have another chiropractic appointment tonight...CRACK!


Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Comments

Miss Kang said…
kudos to you Kim...i could never string words together as eloquently as that...no joke...(thats why im getting you to edit my essay!)
and glad to know your back is feeling better!
(where do you find time to write these profound things?!)
KangaRoo said…
During break at work...hahaha. But profound? Not at all.
Trust me, these are just the rantings and ravings of an ex-history/english, mid-M.Div student. 8 Yrs. of Uni will do this to you...=P

Popular Posts