United We Stand…

It’s been one week since the trauma of the United concert and I feel I have processed the events of that Saturday enough to actualize it into text format.

For those who are unfamiliar with the band, it is a worship team from a MEGA-church in the land-down-under, a.k.a. Kris’ prison. They write and perform their own songs and have an incredibly effective and they have a “sounds like a garage band but really is a worship band” vibe to their music. So of course, me being the big Christian music junkie that I am, bought tickets to this once a year event, along with 29 others for the rest of our EM congregation.
We even waited in line from 3-6:30pm before the doors opened (James waiting from 12:30 pm – what devotion!). People were listening to music blasting from their portable stereos, eating, even a mean game of “hacky” started up in the parking lot. Everything seemed great. Sun shining, birds chirping, and the Christian church at large (or at least of Toronto) were joined together, happily awaiting this much anticipated concert.

Now have you ever seen me having a mood swing? It’s pretty unbelievable because I’m usually under control with that kind of stuff. But I would think that this is the only way I could describe the bi-polar change that happened 30 minutes to entering the building. Pretty freakin’ unbelievable.

The sun started to set and the wind picked up…brrrrrrrr. Suddenly, people had stopped listening to music and singing together. The hacky group had dispersed and joined the line to be engulfed into this huge mass of people hovering around the entrance. All who were in line, sitting all day right by the doors, started to stand up and assume their positions in line, and then…..the pushing began. Oh the horror!

I’m not talking about a little nudge here. I’m talking full-out, lose-a-limb, “get outta my way” kind of pushing! One girl was standing behind June, the size of WILL, and started laughing out loud because people were pushing her of all people. It felt like a rugby scrum if you ask me. Then she looked at me and said, “It’s crazy how all these Christians are about to go in to this church to raise their hands and praise the Lord. It’s even crazier that I’ve never seen such carnal Christians!”. I believe it was Andrea at that moment who said, “Now everyone. We’re going to have to exercise our spirit of forgiveness today.” God bless Andrea for always keeping things in perspective.

Well, to say the least, the rest of the concert proceeded this way. People pushing to get to the front when people were already waaaaaaaaay to close from comfort. I mean, common sense would tell you that trying to squeeze 1 Litre of water into a 1 ml glass is not going to happen. Therefore, WHY would anyone think that they can push the crowd forward into a barrier that won’t budge, only to get closer to the stage? Kevin and I were the unfortunate ones who were smack dab in the middle of the front of the floor, pushed beyond all belief. Danny, in a way, I’m glad you didn’t make it that day because I’m sure we would have had some body bags by the end of the night if you were standing with us!

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to say, the music was great, the message was a bit Sesame Street, but great, and the worship was great. However, the theme of the album and this tour is called UNITED WE STAND. Sure, physically, some of us didn’t really have a choice but to stand. But they meant for us to be united in our stand for Christ. This was the message. I thought to myself, “Do I really want to stand with these people who are making me angry to no ends?” I mean, I really was stinkin’ mad after this concert.

Bottom line though? Yes. We are human. We are not perfect. We do stupid things and we forget where we’ve come from and what we’ve been called to do. And yet, God has been pushed around by us “stupid humans” enough times. We disregard Him. We call on Him when we need something. We turn our backs on Him when we don’t. We think our way is always better, easier, or “more fun”. Jesus was not only pushed but beaten, wrongly accused and ultimately killed. And yet, he continues to show us mercy, grace and love. WHAT??? It makes no sense even to me at times. That’s just being waaaaaaaay toooooo nice isn’t it?

If he died for us to show us this tolerant, literally unconditional love, then the best place for me to start is to love everyone who was standing in that crowd with me, regardless of how much they push, kick or scream.

UNITED WE STAND? I truly hope so.



Comments

Miss Kang said…
sometimes i am in awe of how much you learn to love ppl and have patience for them. Sorry bout the phone conversation before. I love you for you and trust that you will always do what you need to do for others as well as yourself. You're always an inspiration to me and keep me grounded. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
wow, Kim, i am very impressed with you and your perspective on this incident! I just tried to call you but i don't have an updated contact number for you in my computer and my nanny has my cellphone with your updated home number. Really enjoyed reading your blog! I must say i am learning a lot about you!
miss ya lots,
LL

Popular Posts