Grace
Within the past few days I have seen much grace shown in two friends and I just had to share because I am both moved and challenged.
On Sunday we went to our first NHL playoff game. Game 5 of the conference finals between the Sharks and Red Wings. Hubby was cheering for the Sharks while my friend, Jen, was cheering for the Wings. I sat in between - just happy to be at my first ever, live NHL game. It only took 30 years!
Anyway, throughout the game there were some horrendously loud, crass, drunk fans sitting next to Jen. As we neared the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period with the Wings up by 1, the girl next to Jen started to threaten her (as representative of Detroit) and cuss her out with her face just inches from Jen's ear just because Jen was cheering for her team.
FOUL, appalling, and completely unprovoked. If you know Jen, she's a gal who can handle her own - you just don't mess with her. However, instead of retaliation, she sat with a smile while enjoying the last 2 minutes of her beloved Red Wings closing out game 5 in a win, whilst listening to complete garbage coming out of a crazy woman's mouth.
_____________________________________
Today I had lunch with a friend, Annie. As we walked back from lunch, a woman was walking in our direction. Just as she passed us, she turned and spat at us. The woman just kept walking like it was nothing but when I looked at Annie's back I was mortified. There was a huge wad of spit on the back of her jacket. Annie just shrugged it off and said, "Wow. That's the first time that's ever happened to me." I sincerely hope that it is the last.
We went back my office and washed the jacket and Annie did not complain, get mad or even cry. She just assumed that the angry woman must have had a bad day or had just been fighting with someone else.
________________________________________
If I were either of these women, I am not sure what I would do or how I'd feel. Violated, threatened, angry and sad all at once perhaps. And yet, both showed grace. Above that, both showed love.
I just imagine what Jesus must have felt while being threatened, harassed and yelled at in his lifetime. The anger, insults and hate that were thrown at Him were unprovoked and undeserved. I'm sure there were people who even spat on or at Him.
Yet his reaction with grace and love was that He asked God to forgive them. Forgive us.
_________________________________________
I already know that Annie and Jen have Jesus' love in them, but I am still thankful to see such examples of it. I see Jesus in them and am thankful for what He will continue to show others through their grace.
You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9
On Sunday we went to our first NHL playoff game. Game 5 of the conference finals between the Sharks and Red Wings. Hubby was cheering for the Sharks while my friend, Jen, was cheering for the Wings. I sat in between - just happy to be at my first ever, live NHL game. It only took 30 years!
Anyway, throughout the game there were some horrendously loud, crass, drunk fans sitting next to Jen. As we neared the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period with the Wings up by 1, the girl next to Jen started to threaten her (as representative of Detroit) and cuss her out with her face just inches from Jen's ear just because Jen was cheering for her team.
FOUL, appalling, and completely unprovoked. If you know Jen, she's a gal who can handle her own - you just don't mess with her. However, instead of retaliation, she sat with a smile while enjoying the last 2 minutes of her beloved Red Wings closing out game 5 in a win, whilst listening to complete garbage coming out of a crazy woman's mouth.
_____________________________________
Today I had lunch with a friend, Annie. As we walked back from lunch, a woman was walking in our direction. Just as she passed us, she turned and spat at us. The woman just kept walking like it was nothing but when I looked at Annie's back I was mortified. There was a huge wad of spit on the back of her jacket. Annie just shrugged it off and said, "Wow. That's the first time that's ever happened to me." I sincerely hope that it is the last.
We went back my office and washed the jacket and Annie did not complain, get mad or even cry. She just assumed that the angry woman must have had a bad day or had just been fighting with someone else.
________________________________________
If I were either of these women, I am not sure what I would do or how I'd feel. Violated, threatened, angry and sad all at once perhaps. And yet, both showed grace. Above that, both showed love.
I just imagine what Jesus must have felt while being threatened, harassed and yelled at in his lifetime. The anger, insults and hate that were thrown at Him were unprovoked and undeserved. I'm sure there were people who even spat on or at Him.
Yet his reaction with grace and love was that He asked God to forgive them. Forgive us.
_________________________________________
I already know that Annie and Jen have Jesus' love in them, but I am still thankful to see such examples of it. I see Jesus in them and am thankful for what He will continue to show others through their grace.
You know the generous grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty he could make you rich. 2 Corinthians 8:9
Comments