The Kang's Speech
As I told my friend Stacy the other day, I have had a blogging slump and to be honest, it's almost a stutter. I have glimpses of genius (in my humble opinion), insight or sheer comedy. Yet for reasons unknown I have not been able to put them into witty words so I digress.
I have recently been reading a book called "Waiter Rant" - it's literally a page-after-page rant by a waiter who turned his blog into a book. Although it's horrific at times it's a great read because he poured out his thoughts of the days'/weeks' events and funneled them into some good stuff. I wonder if the reason why I'm stumped is because writing used to be my outlet. At the moment, I don't even know if I have an outlet. I think I am so tired at the end of the day that writing has been set aside so that I can numb my brain by watching re-runs of the Cosby Show. Yes, that's right. I'm re-living my television youth!
So what are the thing's on my mind these days?
My grandfather (on my step-mother's side) is in the hospital. I've been trying to call him constantly because he's got a bad case of cancer and within 1 month he's gone from actively living, to being diagnosed, and then to actively dying. I know this sounds horrible but I'm kind of glad it's happened so fast because my mom and our family lived through 3 years of cancer and it was brutal.
This week he called the whole family to the hospital and declared that he'd be dying. I don't know if he just decided it or if it was intuition. Probably a bit of both. I finally got a chance to talk to him on the phone, although it was just me blubbering through my goodbye to him on speaker phone while everyone else, including grandpa, listened. Although he couldn't speak, I was told that he smiled and perked up when he heard my voice. After I got off the phone I had to lock myself in my friend's office to just have a safe place to cry. I proceeded to ball my eyes out all the way home in the car - something I do NOT recommend for safety's sake.
Cancer has never been a friend of anyone but I have known way too many people affected by this disease. It sucks, it sucks the life out of people and it sucks the life out of the people around them too. I'm seriously crushed when I see or hear of people who are lying in bed, ghosts of themselves. I know it's not about me but cancer sucks and I don't wish it upon anyone.
So I'm asking for anyone reading this to please pray for my family who has been by his side through this. They are tired, emotional and ragged from living minute-to-minute. Pray for this patriarch who has been there for his 5 kids and all of their children, and has embraced myself and my siblings as his own too. Pray for his peaceful passing and praise God that he's going to be promoted to glory. Much love. K.
I have recently been reading a book called "Waiter Rant" - it's literally a page-after-page rant by a waiter who turned his blog into a book. Although it's horrific at times it's a great read because he poured out his thoughts of the days'/weeks' events and funneled them into some good stuff. I wonder if the reason why I'm stumped is because writing used to be my outlet. At the moment, I don't even know if I have an outlet. I think I am so tired at the end of the day that writing has been set aside so that I can numb my brain by watching re-runs of the Cosby Show. Yes, that's right. I'm re-living my television youth!
So what are the thing's on my mind these days?
My grandfather (on my step-mother's side) is in the hospital. I've been trying to call him constantly because he's got a bad case of cancer and within 1 month he's gone from actively living, to being diagnosed, and then to actively dying. I know this sounds horrible but I'm kind of glad it's happened so fast because my mom and our family lived through 3 years of cancer and it was brutal.
This week he called the whole family to the hospital and declared that he'd be dying. I don't know if he just decided it or if it was intuition. Probably a bit of both. I finally got a chance to talk to him on the phone, although it was just me blubbering through my goodbye to him on speaker phone while everyone else, including grandpa, listened. Although he couldn't speak, I was told that he smiled and perked up when he heard my voice. After I got off the phone I had to lock myself in my friend's office to just have a safe place to cry. I proceeded to ball my eyes out all the way home in the car - something I do NOT recommend for safety's sake.
Cancer has never been a friend of anyone but I have known way too many people affected by this disease. It sucks, it sucks the life out of people and it sucks the life out of the people around them too. I'm seriously crushed when I see or hear of people who are lying in bed, ghosts of themselves. I know it's not about me but cancer sucks and I don't wish it upon anyone.
So I'm asking for anyone reading this to please pray for my family who has been by his side through this. They are tired, emotional and ragged from living minute-to-minute. Pray for this patriarch who has been there for his 5 kids and all of their children, and has embraced myself and my siblings as his own too. Pray for his peaceful passing and praise God that he's going to be promoted to glory. Much love. K.
Comments